Akron Firefighters Credit Union

To report a lost, stolen or fraudulent activity on your Mastercard debit card, please call: 800-528-2273

To report a lost, stolen or fraudulent activity on your VISA credit card, please call: 888-720-6836

There is a Mortgage Protection Notification Scam
If you receive a letter that may look legitimate that's says: Mortgage Protection Notification Complete and Return, please disregard this letter.

American Share Insurance

Equal Housing Lender

Banking Login
Q: How is a Credit Union different from a bank?
A: When you open up an account with the credit union your not just another number walking it. You open up a shares (Savings) account with $5.00 which is your share of the credit union. This makes you part owner of the credit union. You are not just a number you become a member, a part of our family and we come to get to know you as a person. And we understand that bad things do happen to good people so we are here to help and serve you as a member of this Credit Union. We are also not federally insured we are ASI insured. We are here to serve all the financial needs of each individual and everyone's situation is different. 

Q: What are the qualifications to becoming a member?
A: If you are a first responder you qualify to become a member. 

Q: What all do I need to bring in if I want to become a member?
A: All you will need is two forms of ID and at least $5.00 which is your share of the Credit Union.

Q: Do I have to be present to become a member?
A: Yes, we need to be able to identify you.

Q: Are you federally insured?
A: NO, we are American Shared Insurance up to $250,000.00 per account that you have.

Q: Is this the only location I am able to transact business at?
A: We are the only main location, but we do offer shared branching. We have Credit Union's across the US that you can visit to make deposits, loan payments or withdraws. You can call 1-800-919-2872 or visit www.co-opsharedbranch.org and find a shared branch location near where your located.

Q: What do I need to be able to access my accounts from a shared branch location?
A: You will need to know the name of your credit union, your account number and have your proper ID ready.

Q: Do you offer a variety of accounts that I can invest my money in to?
A: We offer a savings account which has to be open to become a member with at least $5.00 which is your share of the credit union. We also offer free checking accounts, Christmas clubs, Money Markets, CD's, IRA's and custodial accounts.

Q: Can I receive a debit card with my account?
A: You can apply for a debit card once you open up a checking account. If you only have a savings the most you can apply for is an ATM card. If you qualify for either we will order the card and you will receive it within 7-14 business days.

Q: How do I activate my card and set up my pin?
A: You can either call the credit union or you can call the 1-800 number on the card.

Q: If I am traveling should I contact the Credit Union to notify them if I plan on using my debit card?
A: Yes, we need to know that information so we can make sure you have no problems using your card when traveling. We will also ask you for an updated cell phone number. This is in case we see something unusual on your card while you are traveling we are able to contact you right away. 

Q: How long after my card is ordered will I receive it in the mail?
A: It takes 7-14 business days for you to receive your new debit and/or visa card.

Q: Do you offer a visa credit card?
A: We do have a VISA card with a low fixed rate of 9.99%. It is truly a fixed rate and will never change on you.

Q: How can I make my visa payment?
A: We offer a few options for you to make your visa payment. 1) you can call the credit union and we can debit your account for your payment. 2) You can mail in a check to the address located on your bill. 3) You can go to the website on your bill and sign up for online payments to be automatic taken out. 4) You can set up a bill pay from your online banking to pay your visa bill.

Q: Am I able to do a balance transfer? If yes, how do I go about doing so?
A: Yes, you will need to come in with the credit card statements you wish to pay off and sign a form allowing us to do the balance transfer. It can take up to 2 weeks for the balance transfer to take place, so you should make the minimum payment to avoid any fees to that credit card. This service is free to our members. 

Q: How do I change my address if I moved?
A: You can either call us and we can mail you a change of address form or you can log on to your online banking account and send us a secure e-mail with your change of address information. Please include a phone number for you as well. 

Q: I would like to check my credit report how can I obtain that? And does it cost anything?
A: You should check your credit report at least once a year. You can go to www.annualcreditreport.com and you are entitled to receive it free at least once a year. 

Q: Do you offer financial counselling for someone who is trying to work on their credit?
A: We do have a financial counselor who will meet with you and work with you to help build your credit back up. This service is free of charge to our members.

Q: Can I access my accounts online?
A: We do offer online banking. You can sign up to check your balances, make transfers and make loan payments. We also have the mobile App that you can download to access your accounts. You must first sign up on a desktop computer to access your smart phone APP.

Q: Can I pay bills online?
A: We do have bill pay where you can set up all your bills to be paid directly out of your accounts with Akron Firefighters Credit Union. 

Q: Do you have a notary on site?
A: We do have a notary on site at all times and we offer this service free of charge for our members only.

Q: How do I apply for a loan?
A: There are two ways your can apply. You can fill out the online application and submit that to us electronically or you can stop in to the Credit Union and fill out a paper application.

Q: What information do I need to apply for a loan?
A: We will need the application completely filled out and 1 month's worth of proof of income.

Q: What is considered proof of income?
A: Pay stubs, W2, tax returns, statement or a print out of your bank statement showing your pay being direct deposited.

Q: What if I am self employed? 
A: If you are self employed we will need all the schedules of your tax returns for the past 2 years. 

Q: What if I have rental income?
A: We will need rental agreements fully signed and the last 2 years of tax returns.

Q: What are the different types of loans you offer?
A: We offer auto loan (new and used), personal loans, motorcycle, recreational etc.

Q: Do you offer student loans?
A: We don't offer student loans in house, but we do have a link on our site that you can apply for student loans through Sallie Mae.

Q: Do you do mortgage loans?
A: We work with CU Members Mortgage Company for our mortgage loans. You can apply for a mortgage on our website through CU Members mortgage.

Q: Do you do VA loans?
A: Yes, again through CU Members Mortgage.

Akron Firefighters Credit Union is not responsible for nor do we guarantee the content of the linked pages. We recommend you review the privacy policy on the linked site.

Monthly License Plate Winner

Akron Firefighters Credit Union - Win $100

  August Winner

The following license plate numbers were spotted with the lucky $100 magnet: