Skip to Main Content


Q: How is a Credit Union different from a bank?

A: When you join a credit union you are not just another number walking in. As a member, you become part owner of the credit union; a part of our family and we come to get to know you as a person. And we understand that bad things do happen to good people so we are here to help and serve you as a member of this Credit Union. We are here to serve all the financial needs of each individual and everyone's situation is different.

Q: What are the qualifications to becoming a member?

A: If you are a first responder you qualify to become a member. Or if an immediate family member (mom, dad, sibling or grandparent) is already a member then that qualifies you to become a member.

Q: What all do I need to bring in if I want to become a member?

A: You will need two forms of ID (including proof of first responder status) and at least $5.00 which is your share of the Credit Union.

Q: Do I have to be present to become a member?

A: Yes, we need to be able to identify you.

Q: Can I access my accounts on my smart phone?

A: Yes, we do offer the mobile APP. You can also now remote deposit your checks and access bill pay through the mobile app.

Q: Are you federally insured?

A: No, we are privately insured through American Share Insurance for up to $250,000.00 per account.

Q: Is this the only location where I am able to transact business?

A: We have 2 main locations. 161 Massillon Rd, or 217 S. High Street 5th floor, but we participate in the Shared Branch Network. There are credit unions across the US where you can make deposits, loan payments or withdrawals. Call 1-800-919-2872 or visit to find shared branch locations.

Q: What do I need to be able to access my accounts from a shared branch location?

A: You will need to provide the name of your credit union, your account number and provide a valid ID.

Q: Do you offer a variety of accounts that I can deposit my money in to?

A: We offer the basic 'shares' account (savings). We also offer free checking accounts, Christmas clubs, Money Markets, CD's, IRA's and custodial accounts.

Q: Can I receive a debit card with my account?

A: You can apply for a debit card with a checking account. If you only have a savings account you can apply for an ATM card.

Q: How do I activate my card and set up my pin?

A: You can either call the credit union or you can call the 1-800 number on the card.

Q: If I am traveling should I contact the Credit Union to notify them if I plan on using my debit card?

A: Yes, we will note your travel dates and location in order to ensure that you have no problems using your card when traveling. Please provide current cell phone number so you can be contacted in the event of potential fraudulent transactions while you are traveling.

Q: How long after my card is ordered will I receive it in the mail?

A: It takes 7-14 business days for you to receive your new debit and/or visa card.

Q: Do you offer a visa credit card?

A: We do have a VISA card with a low fixed rate. It is truly a fixed rate. Call Credit Union to find out the rates.

Q: How can I make my visa payment?

A: We offer a few options: 1) call the credit union and we can debit your account for your payment. 2) mail in a check to the address located on your bill. 3) go to your online banking and use the link provided for direct access to your credit card account. 4) go to and access your visa card and make payments.

Q: Am I able to do a balance transfer? If yes, how do I go about doing so?

A: Yes. Please bring in the credit card statements you wish to pay off and sign a form allowing us to do the balance transfer.

Q: How do I change my address if I moved?

A: You will need to sign a change of address form; or log on to your online banking account and send us a secure e-mail with your change of address information. Please include current phone number as well.

Q: I would like to check my credit report how can I obtain that? And does it cost anything?

A: You should check your credit report at least once a year. Go to and you are entitled to receive a free copy once a year.

Q: Do you offer financial counseling for someone who is trying to work on their credit?

A: We do have a financial counselor who will meet with you and work with you to help build your credit back up. This service is free of charge to our members.

Q: Can I access my accounts online?

A: We offer online banking. You can sign up to check your balances, make transfers and loan payments. We also offer the mobile App for smartphone users. You can also deposit your checks using the mobile APP.

Q: Can I pay bills online?

A: We offer bill pay where you can set up all your bills to be paid directly out of your accounts with Akron Firefighters Credit Union.

Q: Do you have a notary on site?

A: We have a notary on site at all times and we offer this service free of charge for our members only.

Q: How do I apply for a loan?

A: There are two ways to apply: Complete the online application in your online banking or come into the Credit Union and fill out a paper application. And provide us with proof of income.

Q: What information do I need to apply for a loan?

A: We will need the application completely filled out and 1 month's worth of proof of income.

Q: What is considered proof of income?

A: Pay stubs, W2, tax returns, statement or bank statement showing your pay being direct deposited.

Q: What if I am self employed?

A: If you are self employed we will need all the schedules of your tax returns for the past 2 years.

Q: What if I have rental income?

A: Please provide rental agreements fully signed and the last 2 years of tax returns.

Q: What are the different types of loans you offer?

A: We offer auto loans (new and used), personal loans, motorcycle, recreational vehicle and boat loans.

Q: Do you offer student loans?

A: We don't offer student loans in house, but we do have a link on our site where you can apply for student loans through Sallie Mae.