Online Banking Survey Scam Alert
When you access your online banking, you may see a pop-up message inviting you to take a survey for akfire.com and stating that you will receive a cash reward for taking the survey. THIS IS A SCAM! PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND OR CLICK ON THIS! The Credit Union is not doing any surveys at this time.
Debit Card Scam Alert
BEWARE OF A DEBIT CARD SCAM! YOU MAY RECEIVE A RECORDED PHONE MESSAGE STATING THAT YOUR DEBIT CARD IS BLOCKED OR SUSPENDED OR CLOSED, AND DIRECTING YOU TO ENTER YOUR CARD NUMBER TO UNBLOCK IT. THIS IS A SCAM! HANG UP IMMEDIATELY! DO NOT RESPOND! Akron Firefighters Credit Union will never ask you for your card number, pin number, social security number, account number, etc. Please notify the credit union if you receive a call or e-mail that you think may be a phishing attempt.
Phone Call Scam Alert
If you receive a phone call that says your debit card or ATM card has been blocked please press 1 and enter your debit card number please hang up the phone. This is a scam! Akron Firefighters Credit Union does have a fraud department that will call you and/or text you about possible fraud on your card. They will not ask you for your card number. If you receive a phone call asking for your card number or any other personal information please hang up the phone.
Apple User Fraud Alert
Beware of scams targeting Apple users. The phishing messages, which appear to come from Apple, instruct the recipient to update their Apple account by verifying credit card information and passwords. The phishing attack is hardly novel; To update their accounts, recipients of the e-mail are asked to click a link that directs them to a fake Apple webpage. From there, the information provided by the user is captured by fraudsters.
FBI Fraud Alert
If you can answer "YES" to any of the following questions, you could be involved in a fraud or about to be scammed!
- Is the CHECK from an item you sold on the Internet, such as a car, boat, jewelry, etc?
- Is the amount of the CHECK more than the item's selling price?
- Did you receive the CHECK via an overnight delivery service?
- Is the CHECK connected to communicating with someone by email?
- Is the CHECK drawn on a business or individual account that is different from the person buying your item or product?
- Have you been informed that you were the winner of a LOTTERY, such as Canadian, Australian, El Gordo, or El Mundo, that you did not enter?
- Have you been instructed to either "WIRE", "SEND" OR "SHIP" MONEY, as soon as possible, to a large U.S. city or to another country, such as Canada, England, or Nigeria?
- Have you been asked to PAY money to receive a deposit from another country such as Canada, England, or Nigeria?
- Are you receiving PAY or a COMMISSION for facilitating money transfers through your account?
- Did you respond to an email requesting you to CONFIRM, UPDATE, OR PROVIDE your account information?
Tell Branch Personnel Immediately!